Center for the Study of Political Graphics Guidelines for Determining Copyright Status
These guidelines have been developed based on the United States copyright guidelines for publications. The fact that political posters are created in high numbers for public display defines them as publications.
1. Works published before 1923
2. Works published before 1978 (December 31, 1977) without copyright notice
3. Works published by the U.S. government
Probably Public Domain:
1. Works published between January 1, 1978 and March 1989 produced by grassroots organizations without individual artist names.
Works Under Copyright:
1. Works published after 1989
2. Works published before 1978 (December 31, 1977) with copyright notice
1. Works that incorporate photographs
2. Works registered 1923-1963; Copyright expired after 28 years (user responsible for researching Library of Congress to determine if copyright was renewed)
3. Works published between January 1, 1978 and March 1989 without notice - as registration could have been established after printing
4. International works (user responsible for researching international copyright laws) Used by CSPG with Permission Artist has signed a non-exclusive license agreement with CSPG.